Functional medicine approach to tired and wired
Functional medicine approach to tired and wired.
Typical MD practicing in the conventional medicine fails to address the underlying causes of insomnia, anxiety, low energy. Here are simple things to consider if you are suffering from poor sleep, irritability. Remember herbs are supplements are not benign, consider a consultation with a doctor before starting herbs.
SLEEP AND RELAXATION
- Avoid caffeine intake and alcohol 4-5 hours before bedtime.
- Follow a regular sleep/wake schedule including weekends and holidays.
- If unable to fall asleep go to another room and start a quite activity, return to bed only when you feel sleepy.
- Minimize sound in your bedroom including pets, music. Consider adding white noise or ear plugs.
- Try Epsom salt bath, melatonin supplement (0.5mg to 5.0mg ) or oral magnesium supplement (100mg – 300mg Chelated for
EXERCISE AND MOVEMENT
Start a graded exercise program, daily exercise of some kind prevents de-conditioning and may lead to enhance immune system, mood and sleep. Yoga can help reduce joint and muscle pain.
Ensure that your diet is high in phytonutrients as well as omega-3’s. With the help of your physician consider CoQ10, R-Lipoic Acid or L-Carnitine supplementation.
98% of the follow up appointments to a primary care are linked to stress. Having a chronic condition such as insomnia can be emotionally exhausting.
Try guided meditation, singing, walking. Consider adaptogenic herbs such as Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, astragalus, holy basil. Keep in mind to consult a physician before starting herbal supplementation.
Root causes of insomnia are multiple but not limited to ambien deficiency. Work with a Functional medicine physician who is willing to test your hormones such as thyroid, DHEA, cortisol and pregnenolone levels.